Trinkets and Treasures

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Oh No!!! Where’s My Baby : 6 ways not to forget or lose your child

I’m sure you’ve heard the news about the "UK Prime Minister"- David Cameroon and his wife Samantha who forgot their eight year old daughter in a Pub.  In case you haven’t here's the quick gist. The Prime minister and his family had a day out to their family Pub; When it was time to leave their daughter had popped to the toilet and no one noticed.  They all left the pub thinking the 8 year old was with either of them as the prime minister and his wife left in separate cars. The mix-up was only realised when they got home and couldn’t find her. Thank GOD they found her afterwards; as she could have strayed out looking for them or even worse kidnapped. From what I know, in some countries the first daughter is a kidnappers gold. Anyway reports say she was returned home within fifteen minutes.


Since this is a trending topic I thought I'd contribute and make a light of the occasional mistake made by parents: “Losing/forgetting your child on an outing and give tips on how not to”.  If it helps anyone.


Screaming mother

Before I had my son I was always freaking out talking about how likely I am to forget my baby on the roof of the car or at the supermarket. (This is because I can be quite clumsy when I'm stressed so I think I may forget my baby).  Although I have never forgotten my son anywhere (well not yet and I definitely don’t intent to) Nevertheless, I think I speak for some parents when I say it can happen to anyone but I can’t vouch for the pub part though . Lol


I have heard and read many hilarious mistakes about how parents forgot their children in the most awkward of places. Below are some of these stories.


Dad Forgot Baby




  1. My friend told me a story the other day about how a friend left her new born in the shopping cart only for her mother to then remind her if she was forgetting something and how being a mum hasn't kicked into her brain yet.
  2. Another one I heard was the mum that left her baby on top on her car roof and drove away (You know the scenario I have been dreading all my life) I’m not sure how authentic it is though.
  3. I read an article recently about a dad in Kentucky who left his 6 months old in the shopping cart and drove away but later realised it and came back for him thankfully he was still there.  
  4. I read on baby centre about a mum who thought she lost her new born and got into a panic but her poor little one was snoring on her shoulder lol ( I guess that's just the stress of being a new mum). Also on babycenter parents that left their child at the children Sunday school after church.
  5. A writer for the guardian newspaper wrote about how she left her daughter at the fish monger.
  6. Finally I read the most ridiculous of stories on forgetting your child, a mother of 10 forgot her 5 year old child at a children's play centre where she had her birthday party and didn't notice until the next morning. See video below for full story.
Thank GOD all of these stories ended up well as it could have easily gone horribly wrong and I’m sure there have been horror stories around the world about tragic cases. As parents I know our brains are overloaded with information and we always have a million things to do at the same time; nonetheless we should always take caution when out with the kids.
   
Below are six things parents could do when leaving home or heading back from an outing to ensure their kids are with them. I know it might seem obvious and straight forward but it is always good to put it into practice, make a mental and a written note of it as well.

6 ways not to forget your baby
  1. Have a check list of things to take out and back after and before an outing,  tick them off before heading and the kids should be number one
  2. Keep them close or keep a hawk eye view on them at all times
  3. Remember to call them back if they start to stray
  4. Have one other adult watch over them if possible
  5. Have a reminder on your phone to pick them up from school, minder, playgroup etc. That way you won't forget 
  6. If you are more concerned about their safety and well-being you can get the child locator gadget, to be extra safe. I stumbled on a video of the gadget on Youtube. See video below for more information. 
I will definitely be doing most of the things on the list to take extra care and I hope it helps other parents too.
      
Below is a video of the ultimate forgetful story I have ever heard and quite frankly it isn't funny. Thankfully the child was in safe hands. Have a lovely weekend and Happy Father's Day in advance.
      
5 Year Old's Girl left at Chuck E. Cheese on her Birthday



child Locator



No comments:

Post a Comment